Random thoughts on being back in Germany after being in Texas for 6 weeks:
1) I miss my big, cozy, squishy American bed with sheets and too many pillows. German mattresses are like an upgraded version of the mattress you slept on at summer camp. The pillows are sometimes hard to call pillows. There’s a 50-50 chance of the bedding horridly tasteless. But, worst of all, there are no sheets under that comforter you have. It’s bizarre and is certainly taking readjusting.
2) I have my hands full. Literally, 5 of them. It is going to be real hard to follow up the previous rockstar au pair, who also happens to be a best friend. Lauren, at least I have you to desperately Skype and send texts all the time.
3) Why are bathroom light switches outside the bathroom here? It drives me bonkers. You walk in, close the bathroom door and then remember the light switch is outside. The bedroom light switches are inside. These things don’t add up.
4) Talk about jumping right back in, I was left with the 3 youngest kids this weekend while the others jetted off to France.
5) On another note of jumping right back in, I completely forgot how terrible my sleep schedule is here. Note to self: working on 4 hours of sleep is no fun. Stop doing it.
6) Taking care of little girls is different than boys.
7) It feels great to be back in Karlsruhe! Despite exhaustion, unpacking and work, seeing friends has been great and I’m looking so forward to my other friends getting back here soon.
8) I reached 200 followers on Facebook, y’all rule. Thank you! I don’t play that blogger numbers game (thus the move to WordPress), but it’s always nice to know somebody reads this little time suck.
I head to Austria tomorrow for a week. Not sure of the Internet situation there. We all know how addicted I am to it, so I may die a little if there’s no access. Or it could be great for me. Basically, I’ll catch y’all (hopefully sooner than) later.